Saturday, January 15, 2011

Weekend musings

So, I‘ve been thinking a lot about this post that I read. Making it all about the food and the recipes, instead of about denying your self in order to be closer to your One who mad you. I see the author’s point, but I am so glad my husband also shared this thought with me from his youversion.com reading plan on Friday: Food is a source of comfort for many. Reflect on how much your thoughts have been overtaken with craving certain foods, missing the things you're fasting from, or even how much weight you could lose. Is it often? If it were alcohol or a harmful drug, would you consider yourself addicted if you were this consumed with your desire for them? For many, this fast can begin an awareness of a harmful place food may have in your life. It can reveal an addiction. Pray that the God of compassion and all comfort will become your primary source of comfort. Ask Him to use this experience with suffering to remove anything in your life that has taken the Holy Spirit's place as your Comforter. (From day 12; He is doing the 21 day plan that corresponds with the fast.)

So, I have been praying about my revelations and my thoughts on fasting and food and my body.  I still see this fast as a jumping off point for a better life; more discipline, more planning, more being HEALTHY and accountable.  I have learned SO MUCH about my own will power and about food.  Things I didn’t realize, or just simply ignored.  So, I think a fast can do both.  It can be a little bit about the food, while still being about growing closer to God.  If those are the things God wants to reveal to you during this time of growth, then how can that be wrong?

I guess I am feeling a little convicted about the things from that original post.  While I get what the author was saying, I am a “there are 2 sides to every coin” kind of gal, and I can see the other side SO CLEARLY now!

No comments:

Post a Comment