Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Four More Years


A few days ago, someone used the word "helpless" when describing their feelings about a family circumstance - that didn't seem that dire to Britt or I.  My husband asked me about that word.  Asked me if I had ever felt that way.  I came up with 2 times in my life that I truly felt that way.  During my divorce when I felt like such a complete failure.  And then the day my son was born 14 weeks too soon - and the weeks and months that followed.  But now, I can add another one.  In the aftermath of this election, I feel helpless.  There is nothing I can physically do to change the circumstances that surround this time and the next 4 years.  Except fall on my face and CRY OUT to Jesus.

My initial reaction was pure shock. Then sadness, despair, even depression. To quote my husband: "It's just hard to wrap my mind around the fact that these seemingly intelligent people really think that he has done a good job for this country and willingly chose to let him continue to destroy this once great nation."  Another friend said she was going to quit her job because with a bachelor's and a master's she still only makes minimum wage, and it seems like living off handouts is the way to go.  My emotional self wants to completely agree with these kinds of responses, I know this is not what I should be doing.

I wake up today full of hope, not fear.  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."  2 Timothy 1:7 I look forward to the future knowing Jesus is still King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  God is still on His throne.  The tomb is still empty and the Bible still holds all the answers.  I will pray.  I will pray for our President, Vice President, Congress, Judges and leaders.  I will pray for the citizens of this nation.  I will pray for the future.  I will pray that this event will turn a nation to their knees seeking the ONE -- the ONLY one -- who can save us.
"I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior." –1 Timothy 2:1-3

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."  Jeremiah 29:11

Amen.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment