Thursday, July 13, 2006

WOW. That was incredible.

We had our first ultrasound this morning! It was short and sweet and went really well. My appointment was at 11:30, and we were out of there by 11:45!

We got to see the baby from all angles, and according to the tech’s measurements, the baby is 10 weeks 5 days. According to my other calculations, I am 10 weeks 4 days, so I am not going to adjust my due date. I am still going with February 4, 2007. The baby was awake for a few seconds, and we got to see the baby’s little arm waving around like mad! “Bullet” wanted us to know he was in there! Bullet also had one foot stuck way up high, and we could see it really well – all 5 toes and everything. You can see it in the picture on this entry. The tech measured Bullet’s heart rate at 171. Pretty fast! She said it slows down here in a few weeks to around 140-150.

But, it looks as if we will be referred to a specialist and have to have this pregnancy monitored pretty closely. Seems Baby Bullet has a defect. The baby has a hernia where the umbilical cord meets the baby’s abdominal wall. All the tech said was that we would have to see a “specialist” (perinatologist?) and that she would have to give her report to my OB. Of course, this is surgery day for my OB, so he won’t even be in the office. I am temped to call his nurse and tell her we are worried and I want him to look at my sono results and call me FIRST THING in the morning. But, I have been able to speak to another OB/GYN doctor about it. There is another doctor in the building that is a family friend. He no longer delivers babies, just does the GYN part of things, and so we stopped by his office to see if he was in. Just as we walked in, he happened to be in the reception area! God is so GOOD! So, we showed him the 2 pictures we had, and told him what the U/S tech had said. He said of course my Doc would go over it and let us know, but from what he could tell from these two pictures, it didn’t look too bad. He said there are varying degrees of these things, and we won’t know anything until we can do more scans and the baby grows. He also said it probably means I have to have a C-section, but we already knew that since the girls were a C-section birth. So, all in all he was pretty reassuring, but Britt and I are both still pretty scared. The good news is that if we are going to a specialist we will get LOTS of sonograms and LOTS of pictures! YAY!

So, we are on pins and needles until we hear from my doctor – hopefully sometime tomorrow. I am thinking about leaving him a message with his nurse, but I haven’t decided yet. I truly hope and pray it is no big deal and the baby just has to have a little surgery when it is born. Pray…

No comments:

Post a Comment