Tuesday, September 4, 2012



I might be saying “No” more in the next few weeks than I usually do.  Not to my kids or my sweet husband. And not any more to my dog than I already do.  But, to opportunities, requests for my time, and anything that will take me away from my family more.  To quote my incomparable pastor, “You have to start saying no to good things so you’ll be able to say yes to the best things.” ~CraigGroeschel.

You see, the next 6 weeks, leading up to my birthday, are JAM PACKED with opportunities that my family and I have committed to.  We just attended the bi-monthly meeting of the CNAC committee we serve on for the Oklahoma City chapter of the March of Dimes.  We serve at church 4 out of the next 6 Sunday mornings.  I have an Executive Board meeting for our sorority this weekend.  (All volunteer activities!)  I have backed out of participating in the Fun Run portion of our 5K for the Ronald McDonald House for sheer lack of TIME.   Lara starts dance lessons this week and choir practice next week.  Emma starts volleyball practice this weekend.  Britt and I have a couple’s baby shower to go to next weekend.  The Big Kid’s elementary school fundraiser money is due in 3 weeks.  The city wide consignment sale that I devote a lot of my time and energy to is in 4 weeks – I have a TON to do to be ready for the sale, then I work about 20 hours there in a 2 day time period.  My husband’s 30th High School reunion is in 4 weeks – and he has some committee work to do for that as well.  After that it is time to wrap up our March for Babies fundraising, distribute our T-shirts, and get ready for the walk!  Finn’s 1st birthday is the 5th, then the March for Babies AND Finn’s birthday party on the same day – October 6!  LOTS of things yet to be done for that day!  WHEW!  

My to-do list is long.  And color coded.  And shared with my amazing #2 who has already taken a few things off of it for me. I am blessed.  

And it all culminates with my 38th birthday on October 8.  My goal is to enjoy the ride, and survive until then.  I know my family will treat me so well to help me celebrate this milestone.  We have come SO FAR from where we were a year ago. For that, I am eternally grateful.  But, if you ask me to do something in the next few weeks, be prepared.  I will say “No.”  My plate is full, and I want to be able to keep my focus on the most important things in my life: God (My #1), My husband (#2), and my family.


Just because opportunities present themselves doesn’t mean you should accept every one of them. It’s not realistic, and it’s also not wise. Often instead of asking, “Is this right or wrong?” or “Will I enjoy this or not?” we need to ask, “Is this wise in light of my desire to stay grounded in what matters most to me and to God?” -Craig Groeschel

No comments:

Post a Comment