Monday, January 28, 2013

2+0+1+3 = SIX


Jake's 6th Birthday - Bowling Lanes Cake

Betcha didn’t know that, did ya?  And the cool thing for my oldest son?  He just had his SIXTH birthday in the year 2013!  How fun!  For him!  And me… because I like freaky number things like that.  I figured out in fourth grade that the digits in my birthdate (100874) and the digits in my mother’s birthdate (040448) both equaled 20.  (I know you want to try it…)  AND!  Here’s where it gets really freaky!  The digits in my older brother’s birthdate (021371) and the digits in my dad’s birthdate (012146) both equal  14.  I KNOW, RIGHT!?!?!??!   But, this isn’t about numbers.  It’s about Jake – bowling strikes and turning 6!

We had a bowling party for Jake and a few of his (male only per his request – mostly) friends on Sunday afternoon at our local bowling alley.  (The only females in attendance were family – his sisters, and one guest’s little sister – who was specifically requested by the birthday boy because she makes him laugh!)  We had 9 kids bowling, and there was a bit of an age gap, so we had the 4/5/6 year olds on one lane, and the 8/9/10 year olds on the other.  The “older” kids were way more competitive, and it was so fun to hear them talking.  The little guys were just as funny, but because of their "form" and the things that made them celebrate!  They all chose to bowl with bumpers, and all the adults wisely refrained from jointing the festivities.  The kids bowled one game, we ate ad opened presents, and then they bowled another game.  It was the perfect length of time, and a GREAT time was had by all!

Jake never could come up with a “theme” for his party this year, so we went with “bowling.”  We were trying to keep this party a little lower key than the 1st birthdayparty we did for Little Brother a few months ago, and I think we did a good job of that!  Jake wanted everything green.  So, we have green plates with sticker dots on them to replicate bowling balls, green balloons with white dots, green napkins, and a solid brown cake with home-fashioned decorations.  6 red and white striped candles for the “pins,” stick candy for the lane markers (with “gutters” dug out with a chop stick!), and a green gumball with icing dots for the bowling ball.  I think it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

Here are a few pictures of the festivities and the party goers!

Party Table!  Let's BOWL!

Bowling Ball plates


The Bowlers


Happy Birthday Jake!

Blew out all 6 of the "pins" in one try!  STRIKE!



Who knows what freaky number things I will come up with later.  You’ll just have to stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment