Thursday, December 31, 2015

One Word: 2016

As 2015 has only a few short hours until it comes to a crashing close, it's time to reflect on the year that's passed, and dream about the year that starts so very soon.  A new chapter in your book.  365 blank pages to fill in any way you can imagine!  Part of my ritual for the past few years  as the New Year rolls around is to spend some time finding one word to focus on.  One word that will be the theme for my year.  What my goals and dreams are anchored on.  I really enjoy the process of finding my word.  I think about what's happened the past year and what I want to see happen in the next.  I think about areas where I need guidance and focus.  And I earnestly pray for God to lead me to my word.  The one word He wants me to meditate on for the next year.  The word God has just for me to stretch me and test me throughout the year.

For 2014, my word was Brave.  I had just ventured out in a new business and I had to learn to talk to people in a way that made them believe in me.  That was a stretch.  In 2015, my word was Joyful.  I felt led to find the JOY in every minute, and to not sweat the small stuff so much.  I had found myself frustrated and stressed by being a parent and the messiness of it all, instead of loving the fleeting moments that all too soon will leave my house spotless, quiet, and EMPTY.  The verse I focused on last year to accompany this new attitude for me was Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope."  I wasn't perfect by any means, but when I asked my husband and kids if I had been more joyful this year, they all agreed I had been.  I feel like I succeeded in focusing on  that one concept and improving my daily outlook.

 
 
That brings us to today.  One the Eve of a new year - 2016.  I have been thinking about my word for a few weeks.  Usually it's just a few days.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, the winds of change are blowing HARD at the Weavers house this year, and I wanted to be intentional with my word.  I wanted it to be something I could not only focus on, but lean in to.  Learn, stretch, GROW.  And even lead, teach and inspire!  So, after much prayer, talk with my husband and friends, and thinking long and hard about what this word means to me, I am ready to dive in to 2016 with my focus on being GREATER.
 



I'm not 100% sure what exactly is going to be GREATER.  I know some things in my life will increase.  That's greater.  I want to work hard at being a greater wife, a greater mom, and a greater follower of Christ.  I want my faith to increase.  I am confident 2016 as a year will be greater than 2015.  Our family is on an upward trajectory over the past 4 years and I don't see that slowing down.  But, God's plan for my year might be completely different than mine.  What he wants me to be Greater at may be vastly opposed to what I want to be greater at.  My verse for this year is John 3:30 "He must become greater; I must become less."  I am putting my faith in God for this year.  I can't wait to see what He unfolds before me and my family.

 

If you would like to find your One Word for 2016, I would love to help you!  I can tell you more about how I come to mine each year, I can pray with you, or I can throw words at you until one of them sticks!  LOL  Or, the best way is to just reflect and pray and let God lead you to it.  There is a You Version Bible reading plan designed to help you find your One Word as well.  I have included a link to it here.  Just click, and get started on your journey for 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment