Friday, January 10, 2014

One Year, One Word, One Verse


As the new year approached, the talk of new year’s resolutions came up – as it always does.  My older kids seemed especially enamored of the hope and excitement that these goals can bring.  I was asked numerous times on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day what my resolutions were.  At first I just brushed them off with “I don’t know.”  Then I moved on to “I haven’t made any yet” and “I haven’t really thought about it.”  All the while I am thinking, “I can never stick to them so why bother.”

But on New Year’s Day I was reminded of something I did last year, somewhat passively and without a lot of follow through (Imagine that!).  I read this blog post from youversion and remembered choosing a word and a verse last year, but I couldn't remember what either of them were.  So you see, I hadn't put a whole lot into it. (It was “delight,” BTW…)

But this year was going to be different.  Forget resolutions.  And even the less stressful word “goal setting.”  I was going to pray, listen for God’s response, and choose one word, one verse to focus on for the year.  To get me started, I searched #verse2014 on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.  I read what people had written, thought about their words, their verses, and prayed for mine.  But, it was New Year ’s Day.  I have four kids.  HGTV had the Tournament of Roses Parade on commercial free! How quickly my focus changed…

Until I was utterly inspired by a commercial I saw!  Not as powerful as the Dodge Ram Trucks  “Thank a Farmer” spot from last year’s Super Bowl, but a great way to start the year nevertheless!  I saw a commercial for the search engine from Microsoft, BING.  With the Sarah Bareilles song “Brave” in the background, here is what I saw:



I believe God can speak to us in many different ways. Sometimes, it is through music and TV commercials.  I left like I had been hit upon the side of my head.  I want to be brave!  I may be a lot of things – loud, opinionated, boisterous – but brave is not a word I would use to describe myself.  I tend towards the non-confrontational, especially with people I don’t know as the outcome may not work out the way I want it to.  I keep things inside just to keep peace.  I don’t go out on many limbs, figuring the safe and known are way better than the scary and unknown.  But this year, I want to be brave!

I prayed, watched the video 10 more times, and downloaded the song.  Set it as my ringtone, even!  Then, I searched for the word “brave” in the Bible.  It’s in there!  About 20 times – depending on the translation. I started reading through the verses, and a lot of them had to do with battle.  While I liked that sentiment, it was exactly what I was looking for to go with the mood of my word and the inspiration I had received.  But then I read this one:

Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.”
Yes!  That was it!  EXACTLY!  THAT is how I want 2014 to be!  THAT is my #verse2014.  1 Corinthians 16:13 NJKV.  The version matters here because it uses the word BRAVE.  That’s my word!  That’s my charge for 2014.

So, I do the thing I know I am comfortable with, and I got creative.  I made this Flipagram and immediately posted it to my social media accounts.  I made a cover photo for Facebook and a new profile picture.  I want to be reminded of it daily so I can be BRAVE!  I was to see it so I don’t forget that it’s what God wants for me!  Sarah B says she wants to see me be brave!  I want to see me be brave!

As I see other people share their word or their verse I think about how their word might work for me.  I see several that are about listening, or being still, or love.  I see ones that seem to be about correcting an action or an attitude.  I see ones that are simply inspirational.  And it makes me love mine even more.  I see mine as a call to action.  A charge.  A defining moment for my life.  Will you help me?  Will you push me to be brave?  Will you show me when I need to be brave?

Britt chose a word, too.  His word is trust.  And his verse is Proverbs 11:28.  He shared it with me in several translations: 

Trust in your money and down you go! But the godly flourish like leaves in spring. New Living Translation
He who trusts in his riches will wither but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf. Revised Standard Version
He that trusteth in his riches shall fall : but the righteous shall flourish as a branch. King James Version
Whoso is confident in his wealth he falleth, And as a leaf, the righteous flourish. Young’s Literal Translation
A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree. The Message
Those who depend on their wealth will fall like the leaves of autumn, but the righteous will prosper like the leaves of summer. Good News Translation 
I loved what our pastor, Craig Groeschel, said about the word God has for you.  It might not be what you thought it was.  He said his was Rest.  He said he doesn’t want to rest!  He wanted it to be something like conquer, or some other strong word.  Really, ANY word but rest!  Britt said he wanted his to be warrior!  But God gave him trust.  I thought mine would be something softer, like pray, or believe.  God gave me BRAVE.

So, what about you?  Do you have a word for 2014?  What is it?  We would love to hear about it!  And we would love to pray for you and help you live out your word for 2014. Share it with us!



No comments:

Post a Comment