Wednesday, September 6, 2017

I Need to See You in My Office

Last Thursday (Thursday, August 31) was a fantastic day.  It was another day that the Lord made, and I was glad to be rejoicing in it.  The air was electric.  Working on the beautiful campus of Oklahoma State University, I get to feel the tangible charge and hear the unquestionable buzz in the air for the first home game of the OSU Cowboy Football season.  Add to that the excitement and anticipation of the season opener for the Stillwater High School Varsity Pioneers as they travel for their first game to Edmond, and the enthusiasm was real. Evident in everything.  It was contagious. It was exhilarating. It. Was. AWESOME!


Because of parking and other logistical concerns and issues that arise with a home football game in the middle of the work week, my boss had given me the choice of leaving a little early to avoid some of the inevitable chaos that would grow as the afternoon wore on and kick off at Boone Pickens Stadium loomed.  My plan was to leave at 2:30 in order to be able to get to the elementary school in time to pick my boys up at the end of their day; then to make it to the high school before the team buses left for Edmond with the football team, as well as 4 amazing young women who work hard as their trainers.  I had a special present as a surprise for Lara, Molly, Lauren and Lauren for their first official out-of-town trip for the 2017 Football season. I figured they work hard, and spend countless hours surrounded by stinky boys, so it might be nice to have something a little “girlie” for the first bus trip.  So, I commissioned a local baker to make them special, personalized Pioneer Football cookies for the ride.  Each girl got one with their name on it, plus a few others.  I said they didn’t have to share the baker’s dozen of cookies, but they’re sweet girls so I figured they would!






I am so glad I was able to be there to deliver the cookies personally.  All four girls were so happy, and Lara was beyond excited.  She didn’t know she would get to see us, and OF COURSE the surprise was thrilling!  One of the other trainers said, “I’ve never seen her smile like that!”  So, for me, that was a huge win. Mission Accomplished.  (After they got home from the game, I heard the report that the cookies were amazing, and they did end up sharing them with the boys near them.)


At the end of the night, OSU won their home opener by beating Tulsa with a score of 59-24.  The three Pioneer Activity busses finally pulled in to the high school at 11:45pm after a fun win over Edmond Memorial with the final there being 23-7.  Stillwater was impressive.  Little Gundy at QB throwing bombs and the defense was in beast mode – held Memorial to 3 yards rushing in the first half and 67 total for the game.  Britt and I enjoyed our time in the stands with Jake, Jake’s friend, and Finn while Lara did her thing on the sidelines.  A good time was had by all.






While all of this was fun, thrilling, and cause for much celebration – there was still icing on the cake for that day.  You see above I said my plan was to leave work at 2:30.  At 2:25pm, I took a call, summoning me down to my boss’s office for a meeting.  Initially, I was worried it was going to mess up my plans for the next hour of the day (my very well thought-out and choreographed PLANS!), but sometimes an interruption is all you need.
During that 15-minute meeting, my life and my trajectory were changed.  Prayers became promises.  Stresses were relieved and the weight of the world became immeasurably lighter.  
I had applied for a “promotion” of sorts on the night of Wednesday, July 19th.  There was an Assistant Registrar position that became vacant at the beginning of July in my office and I felt led to apply.  I believed it was a HUGE long shot to entertain the notion of being awarded such a prestigious post, but like my Dad always said – “The answer is always NO if you don’t ask.”  While I met all the qualifications, plus had experience here in the office, I was just dreaming and hoping for a better position to be able to contribute more professionally, and to be able to support my family better.  A couple of weeks later, I got the call for a first interview scheduled for Monday August 8th.  While I thought it went really well, you just never can tell.  Then, a few days later, I received a call for a second interview, planned for Monday, August 14.  That interview was INTENSE.  Lengthy, and with many key players from the office.  I left there spent, sweaty, and still feeling like it was a long shot.  But, hopeful that I would not be enduring that mood for long, as I was told they would have a decision by the end of the week.  However, on Friday the 18th, I got an email saying the decision committee was delayed in meeting due to schedule conflicts and it would be NEXT week.  The next Friday, August 25th, I got another email saying they had hoped to offer the position this week but there was an HR issue that had to be resolved first.  At this point, I had all but given up.  Some moments I was SURE I was going to receive an offer for the position, but most days I knew it was not meant to be.
That is until my boss called me down to his office on Thursday.  As I took the LONG walk from my work station back to his office, I didn’t think anything out of the ordinary was happening.  He knew I was leaving early, and I figured he wanted to make sure I had everything covered in my absence.  Then, he shut the door.  That is always a sign something big is about to happen!  And boy did it!  He offered this amazing opportunity – TO ME! A new job with different responsibilities, interesting assignments, and a chance to serve on the Leadership Team in the office!  Giddy, excited, delighted, amazed, and a little overwhelmed.  I have a lot to learn, and I can’t wait to get started!  So thankful for the chance, and honored that the committee chose me.  It has been a long and winding road to get to this point!  But, God!  He is faithful!  
I can’t help but think of the words Jesus spoke in Luke, chapter 16.  After telling the parable of the shrewd manager, Jesus said to his disciples in Luke 16:10, “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much.”  My current position was important and crucial to the office, but I always knew I could do more!  When I started this job back in March, I set forth to do the job with excitement and precision and to the VERY best of my ability.  And, my managers and bosses saw that.  A short 5 months later and through a series of extraordinary events, I merited the REWARD.   But, God! He is so good.


I feel like a Phoenix rising from the ashes today.  I can’t stop smiling.  I can’t stop dreaming of a future that looks much brighter than it did a few days ago.  I can’t stop praising the Lord of ALL CREATION who was faithful to complete this good work in me.  This song is on perpetual repeat in my head…


By Your Spirit I will RISE, from the ASHES of defeat!  The Resurrected KING is resurrecting ME! (Elevation Worship – Resurrecting)

My official start date will be September 18th. Some transition will occur before this date, and I will be doing both jobs for awhile as I work to hire my own replacement. Always a few growing pains with things like this. Thank you every single one of you who has prayed, provided, or played any kind of role in keeping the Weavers on a positive track these last 12 months.  We still need a job for Britt, but some of the pressure is relieved and we can breathe a little better.  Please continue to send job opportunities his way, and pray for our family during this transition.


Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” Romans 5:1-5 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Rejoicing in your news! The Lord provided. I am continuing to pray for Britt also and I know many people have been praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete