Saturday, September 30, 2017

And so the adventure begins

2 weeks.  10 work days. I’ve been on an all-day trip to OSU Tulsa, 12 meetings (ranging from 30 minutes to 3 hours), conducted 3 employee interviews, assisted in 2 more employee interviews, hired a new employee (who quit before she ever got to the office on her first day), and completely planned, produced, and led a ½ day training.  Most of this was “new job” related, but many other tasks and projects were “old job” related. Also had an eye doctor appointment where they changed my contacts to mono-vision, and went to my youngest’s Kindergarten Alphabet Boot Camp Fashion Show – all this meant several hours away from the office. I am pretty sure on 2 different occasions when someone asked me how the new job was going I responded with some version of “They’re trying to kill me.”



But, I LOVE IT!  The challenges, the learning curve, the growing pains.  And there are many. While I have some set goals and expectations, the direction I choose and the tools I use to get there are all up to me.  I’ve already implemented a few new systems and have a few more up my sleeve!  My team has to adjust to new leadership, too.  I know they are experiencing their own sense of upheaval, but we will all work together to do our jobs and make it a great place to spend our days.

I am really enjoying being on the Leadership Team.  It has allowed me to flex my creative muscle and, an added benefit, to get to know my “bosses” better.  We have laughed together, come together to solve problems, and learned SO MUCH in the last 2 weeks.  Not only about the job and processes, but about each other and about what makes us each tick.  3+ hours in a car together will do that!  Add to that ALL THE MEETINGS!  Those first few moments while waiting for the last attendee to get there allow for some fun stories.

Last year, I didn’t even know what a “Registrar” was.  Now, I am one.  And this week I go to a 2 day conference with all the registrars across the state. Surreal.  Even if this initiation has been a baptism by fire, I feel really GOOD about the direction my career is taking.  My supervisors and superiors have been nothing but complimentary of the things I have already accomplished, and they are so supportive and encouraging when I present a new idea for our team.  I know this is a bit of a “honeymoon” phase and it is bound to change. I am really excited about this opportunity and about watching it change and grow.  I look forward to being more comfortable in my role and the feeling of really knowing the job. Right now, every knock at the door and ring of the phone is an opportunity to learn something new! 



Thank you all for all of your encouraging words and congratulations.  Truly a blessing.  God is so good.  All of the things I have been through over the last year led to this very moment, and for that I am so grateful.  My faith is still being tested, but I know God’s favor will shine on my husband very VERY soon.  Please keep praying for his job search.  And pray for my sanity as I continue to transition in to this new role with it’s different demands.


No comments:

Post a Comment