Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year, New WORD 2020

As we embark on a new year, another trip around the sun, the time has come for me to find my ONE WORD.  One word to guide my course for the year.  One word to help me focus, to remind me who I am and WHOSE I am.  One word to ground me, center me, and keep me from spiraling out of control when life gets crazy.  And although I struggled with "finding" my one word for 2020 when God finally revealed it to me yesterday, I knew it was RIGHT and I was excited to start praying over it, researching it, and finding my focus verse to go along with it.

My word for 2019 was Listen.  I wanted to be slower to speak.  To really hear what people were saying to me instead of waiting for my turn to talk.  I did not perfect my craft, but I did make great strides.  I can now remind myself to listen when I need to, and I don't have to remind myself as often as I did 12 months ago.  I still want to work on this skill, but I also want to grow in another area this year.

My ONE WORD for 2020 is BREATHE.  In all senses of the word.  First, to breathe, slow down, and calm down when life gets crazy.  The past 4-5 months have been very intense with 4 kids in 7 schools and all their activities, my full-time job which is constantly in flux it seems, the responsibilities and pressure of being a Graduate Student, and trying to be an excellent wife to my amazing husband, sometimes I forget to breathe,  So much so, that I have been to the doctor and added a new medication to my regime to help combat the panic attacks and general anxiety. 

But also, to breathe in what's happening around me.  My 2 oldest kids are graduating high school and starting college this year.  All the while I will still have 2 more kids who need my attention as well as continuing my own studies.  Being present, in the moment, means so much to my children, and I need to breathe that in.  More "In Real Life" and less "Fear Of Missing Out."

Breathe in God's peace and presence.  I always feel the most at ease during worship at church on the weekends.  I feel God's comfort in that space while singing words of praise to Him.  I want to breathe in that peace, and then remember it, replicate it, and revel in it throughout the busy weeks.  I pray that being cognizant of this will help it become a reality.

And to actually, physically, breathe.  Fill my lungs, exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide.  Inhale, Exhale (Jane the Virgin, anyone?).  It is amazing the GOOD a deep breathe can do for you.  It calms, focuses, and centers you.  It just feels good.  Doing this more, and keeping the spirals at bay, will help me be productive and meet all the goals I need to this year.

Sing Praises to the Lord

I am a daughter of the One True King.  I am beautiful because I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).  I am blessed because I believe the Lord will fulfill His promises to me (Luke 1:45), He restores my soul (Psalm 23:3).  And because He gives me breath, I will sing PRAISES to the Lord (Psalm 150:6).

I think it is important to see where I have come on this ONE WORD journey, so here is my list of words since I started this endeavor:

2019 - listen
2018 - welcome
2017 - closer  (I was anxious, and blog-averse, as we opened 2017, so it's a short FB post)
2016 - greater
2015 - brave
2014 - joyful
2013 - resolution

Welcome to 2020!  I new chapter, a new year, a new DECADE!  So much will be changing in my life over the next 12-24 months.  And while I cannot wait, I also know my anxiety will be high.  I am working hard this year to stay in front of it.  Medication, prayer, and just breathing.



No comments:

Post a Comment