Monday, January 2, 2023

One Word 2023

2022 was ROUGH. Brought out the worst in me more times than I can count. Life-changing decisions were made in many areas of my life. All of which I am so thankful for in the ways I have been able to grow, lead, and adapt. But there were moments - DAYS - when the transition wasn’t pretty. The trap I found myself in often was the comparison trap. I am the first person to tell you that comparison is the thief of joy. But I forgot to tell myself. 

So for 2023, my One Word is “Celebrate!” I want to celebrate and not compare. I want to acknowledge and embrace my and my family’s own unique strengths and accomplishments without holding them up to see how they measure with others. My path is my own, and it is my responsibility as a mom to show my kids how to applaud the accomplishments we each make. God has granted us this beautiful life, and even on the messy days, we should praise his faithfulness and goodness. 

“They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.” Psalm 145:7


Looking back at 2022, and my word of "satisfied," initially I felt that I fell short of being satisfied last year.  As a family, we made so many changes - home town, schools, jobs, and roles in the family.  My job, as a new role in a new department with a new boss and a team who had no higher education experience, was anything but static.  All of these changes, unknowns and new adventures left me feeling anything but satisfied.  But with the gift of time, hindsight, and fresh perspective, I see how I was able to embrace and manifest a sense of satisfaction in 2022.  Satisfied that despite all the rumors and chatter and attempts to make me feel bad about my family decisions, I am extremely satisfied with how the second half of 2022 panned out.  Despite the daily uncertainties in my job, I ended the year with a prestigious award recognizing my role and the ways I impacted our students and staff.  My children, all four of them, faced with change and adversity and nerve-racking challenges, are THRIVING!  Both girls are on the cusp of college graduation and jumping into the "real world."  The oldest son living his DREAM and wearing that 42 with pride - always coaching from the bench and being a leader.  And that baby boy?  He has blown us all away!  Maturity, joy, charisma - all of it!  He is a completely different kid than he was 12 months ago.  And ALL of it with the most amazing man right by my side!  Pulling me up when I am down, walking beside me in the dark, and cheering me on from the sidelines.  He is my best friend, and the past 17 years with him have been nothing short of amazing.  My marriage leaves me immensely satisfied - daily.

As I do every year, it is time to look back over my one word posts from years past to see how I came to use them as my focus for the year and to assess outcomes.  How well I was able to maintain that focus.  What God brought me to or brought me through because of my one word.  How my family changed and grew from my yearly focus.  Here is a list of the previous posts, if you are interested:

2022 - satisfied
2021 - hope
2020 - breath
2019 - listen
2018 - welcome
2017 - closer  (I was anxious, and blog-averse, as we opened 2017, so it's a short FB post)
2016 - greater
2015 - brave
2014 - joyful
2013 - resolution

Here is to 2023.  Celebrate! Comparison is the thief of joy - choose to rejoice in all that is good!

(Also - this did not get published on Jan 1 due to BRINGING MY DADDY HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL after a 2 week stay.  I was busy getting that taken care of!)

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful & very inspiring!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete